Parallel to the educational and research activities, the Sanitary Engineering Laboratory offers consulting services to public organisations (Ministries, Water Authorities, etc) and private companies. The consulting services include conventional and specialised water, wastewater and sludge analyses, on site measurements, pilot plant investigations, mathematical modelling, monitoring, evaluation and optimised operation of WWTPs, feasibility studies and integrated water resources management studies.
The Laboratory participates in the formulation of a preliminary master plan for the water resources management in Greece (contract awarded by the Ministry of Development) and provides consultancy services to the Ministry of Environment, Planning and Public Works for the implementation of the European Community Directive 91/271/EEC concerning urban wastewater treatment in Greece. In this context, SEL has the responsibility to advise the Ministry on the determination of sensitive areas and the prioritisation of the required wastewater treatment works, as well as to participate in meetings and be in contact with the responsible committee of the EU. Furthermore, consultancy services are provided in relation to the implementation of the Water Framework Directive and other water quality related legislation, such as the Bathing Water and Nitrates Directives.
SEL has been and still is actively involved in the design construction and operation of the Psyttalia WWTP in the context of its advisory services to the Greek Ministry of Environment, Planning and Public Works and the Water and Sewerage Corporation of Athens (EYDAP). SEL was involved during the site selection of the Psyttalia WWTP (1982), the determination of the design criteria through pilot scale investigations (1984-1988 and 1999-2000), studies related to operational procedures (since 2005), the determination of the required level of treatment through mathematical modelling of the recipient (1986-1989) and in the selection and design of the optimum sludge management scheme (1996-2002).
Indicative Analytical Work
- pH ,Turbidity, Transparency, Dissolved oxygen, Alkalinity, Hardness, Salinity, Chlorides, Conductivity, SAR, Ions , Trace elements.
- Total, Suspended, and Dissolved Organic and Inorganic Solids.
- BOD, COD, TOC and their fractions (soluble, particulate, easily degradable, easily and , slowly hydrolysible, inert).
- Nitrogen (Kjeldahl, Organic, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites).
- Total Phosphorus and Phosphates.
- OUR, AUR, NUR, PUR, CUR.
- Sludge and Biomass Characteristics (Composition, Activity, Settling properties, Microscopic observations, Floc characteristics, Identification of filamentous micro-organisms, dewatering and rheological properties).
- Lipids, Volatile Fatty Acids and Long Chain Fatty Acids.
- Heavy Metals.
- Organic micro-pollutants ( Hydrocarbons, THM, PAH, PCBs, Pesticides etc).
- Toxicity assessments.
- Pathogens ( TC, FC, EC, Salmonella)