CURRICULUM VITAE - 2012
Address:5, Iroon Polytechniou, 15780 Zografou, Athens, Greece
Telephone:30-010-7722896 (office), 30-010-7722899 (fax)
Foreign languages:French, English
Associate Professor, National Technical University of Athens
Scientific interests:Systems ecology
1972: Graduation from the Department of Physics of the University of Athens
1974: Certificate on Applied Informatics from the University Paris VI
1975: D.E.A. on Ecology from the University Francois Rabelais of Tours
1978: Doctorate on Ecological Modelling from the University Paris VII
1976-78: Scolar of the French Government.
1972-1978 :Seminars on Nuclear Physics, Philosophy and History of Science (Universities of Paris).
1974-1978: Researcher in the National Institute of Agronomic Studies of France (INRA) on data processing and ecosystem modeling.
1979-1988: Consultant of the Ministry of National Economy (1979-1985) and the Ministry of Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works (1985-1988) on environmental conservation topics.
1988-today: Lecturer (1988-1994), Assistant Professor (1995-2007), Associate Professor (2007-...) in the Department of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens. Courses on Ecology, Ecosystems Management, Environmental Impact Assessment, Environmental Policy.
1974-today: Leader of 15 scientific research projects, participant in 37 research projects
1989-1994: Scientifically Responsible and Manager of the project: “Organization of a Data Bank for the Natural Environment of Greece”,
including the ‘CORINE-Biotopes’ Project, in Greece. Collection, evaluation and management of data on 430 sites of high ecological interest, on 5500 species of flora and on 1300 species of fauna.
1996-2000: Scientifically Responsible and Manager for the “Development of the Environmental Database FILOTIS” in Greece, including the project: ‘Sites of Outstanding Natural Beauty’. Collection, evaluation and management of data on 449 sites of aesthetic, ecological and/or cultural interest.
European community activities
1981-1991:National delegate in the advisory committees for the management of environmental research of E.C., D.G. XII. Evaluation of European research plans, programs and projects.
1985-today:Evaluator of environmental research proposals (European Commission and several countries).
As a consultant or as scientifically responsible of various project teams:
- over 35 environmental impact assessment studies
- over 15 environmental protection studies
- over 15 physical planning and sustainable development studies.
Social and enviromental awareness activities
1981-1984: Member of the editorial board of the periodical “Ecology and Environment”
1984-1996: Member of the editorial board of the monthly periodical “New Ecology”
2001-2004: Editor of the monthly periodical “Demon of Ecology”
2001-2003: President of the temporary board of the national park of Marathon – Schinias
2003-2009: President of the board of the national park of Marathon – Schinias.
- Author of 2 books, of 17 chapters of different scientific books and of more than 100 scientific publications on ecology and environmental issues, published in scientific journals or in proceedings of scientific conferences.
Selected scientific publications
- Cancela da Fonseca, J.P. et Κ. Hadjibiros, (1977). Le modele matriciel deterministe de Leslie et ses applications en dynamique des populations. Acta Biotheoretica 26, 4:239-261.
- Hadjibiros, K. (1981). Simulation of a predator-prey system using a matrix model. Ecol. Modeling, 12: 45-67.
- Arapoglou, M., K. Hadjibiros, and A. Legakis, (1983). Zagori: An alternative proposal for the management of natural and man-made ecosystems of a mountainous region in developmental dilemma. Proc. International Symposium on Economics of Ecosystem Management, Halkidiki, Greece.
- Hollis, G.E., Α. Gammel, Κ. Hadjibiros, and Τ. Papayannis, (1989) Review of ACE Projects in Greece, Commission of the European Communities, D.G. XI, Brussels.
- Hadjibiros, K. (1989). “Urban Environment: Possibilities for Biotopes development”. Proc. 1st Conf. Environmental Science and Technology, Univ. of the Aegean, Mytilini, vol. B: 131-140 (in Greek)
- Hadjibiros, K., P.Panagiotidis and A. Andreadakis (1991). Evaluation of pollutant load and of its impact to the trophic state of Amvrakikos Gulf. Proc. 2nd Conf. Environmental Science and Technology, Univ. of the Aegean, Mytilini, 554-561 (in Greek).
- Hadjibiros, K. (1991). Training and research in relation to problems of EIA implementation in Greece. Occas. Pap. No 27, EIA Centre, University of Manchester, p. 115-122.
- Papagrigoriou, S. and Κ. Hadjibiros (1992). Εuropean Communities Research Activities in the Field of Environment and Indoor Pollution. Proc. Int. Conf. “Quality of the Indoor Environment”, J.N. Lester, R. Perry and G.L. Reynolds eds, Indoor Air International (IAI).
- Rossis, G., assistance methodologique de K. Hadjibiros, (1992). Entropie, Desordre et Information. Revue des Questions Scientifiques, 162 (4):361-393
- Hadjibiros, K. and Aravantinou, M. (1993). The Greek Natural Environment in Numbers. Proc. 3rd Conf. Environmental Science and Technology, Univ. of the Aegean, Mytilini, vol. A: 584-592 (in Greek).
- Hadjibiros, K. (1995). Evaluation and Classification of the Important Biotopes of Greece According to the Criterion of Threatened Species of Flora and Fauna. Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Environmental Science and Technology, Univ. of the Aegean, Mytilini (in Greek).
- Hadjibiros, K. (1996). Sustainable development in a country with extensive presence of valuable biotopes. The Environmentalist 16, 3-8.
- Hadjibiros, K. and Α. Koukouvinos (1996). A data bank for sites of special ecological interest. Proc. Balkan Conference: National Parks and their role in biodiversity protection on Balkan Peninsula, Mac. Ecol. Society, Ohrid, p. 225-238.
- Hadjibiros, K., A. Patrikiou and A. Koukouvinos (1997). A data bank for Sites of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Proc. 5th Int. Conf. Environmental Science and Technology, Univ. of the Aegean, Mytilini, vol. 2, p. 63-70 (in Greek).
- Hadjibiros K., P.S. Economidis and Th. Koussouris (1997). Let the fish speak: The ecological condition of major Greek rivers and lakes in relation to environmental pressures, 4th EURAQUA Technical Review, Koblenz.
- Efthimiopoulos I., D. Tsantilis and K. Hadjibiros (Eds), (1999). The Trial of Acheloos. Stochastis/Dipe, Athens, 246 p (in Greek).
- Hadjibiros K. (1999). Impulse and Constraint in Cosmos Development. Abstracts of VIII European Ecological Congress, European Ecological Federation, Halkidiki, p. 8.
- Kodjagiorgis, G.K., K. Hadjibiros, D. Pyrgakis, A. Papadaki, V. Perleros and S. Papagrigoriou (1999). The coastal wetland of Schinias and the Olympic Games 2004. Present condition, trends and plans. Proc. Conf. on “Management of Coastal Zones”, Laboratory of Harbor Works NTUA, Athens (in Greek)
- Hadjibiros K. (1999). Nature conservation questions, in M. Modinos and I. Efthimiopoulos (Eds.) “Nature in Ecology”, Stochastis, Athens, pp. 123-131 (in Greek).
- Hadjibiros K. (2000). Impulsion et Contrainte. Deux tendances fondamentales des systemes cosmiques. Proc. 11th Congress of International Association Cosmos and Philosophy, Prague.
- Andreadakis, A.D., Y. Razis, K. Hadjibiros and D.G. Christoulas (2000). “Municipal solid waste management in Greece” in “Municipal waste management in Europe”, N.Buclet and O. Godard (Eds), Kluger Academic Publishers, Environment and Management ser, vol 10.
- Hadjibiros K. (2001). Setting priorities for wildfire suppression policy in Greece, using a relation between yeary burned areas and recovery time, Global Nest: The Int. J., Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 37-43.
- Hadjibiros K. and I. Efthimiopoulos (2001). Sustainability and Island Environment. The Aegean case-study. In M. Modinos (Ed.) “The ecogeography of Mediterranean”, Stochastis, Athens, pp. 243-259 (in Greek).
- Zervos N., Tassin B., Viscan-Leite B. and Hadjibiros K. (2001). Mathematical simulations of biological activity in lake Bourget (France). Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Environmental Science and Technology, Univ. of the Aegean, Mytilini, Vol. B, 974-981.
- Hadjibiros K. and Kyritsis E. (2001). Sustainable islands network: a perspective of sustainability or a dead end development. Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Environmental Science and Technology, Univ. of the Aegean, Mytilini, Vol. A 301-309.
- Zervos, N., B. Tassin, B. Vincon-Leite and K. Hadjibiros (2001). Mathematical simulation of biological activity in Lake Bourget (France). Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. B, University of the Aegean, Syros, pp. 974-981.
- Kyritsis, E., N. Michas and K. Hadjibiros (2001). Towards a system of environmental quality indicators for sites with ecological interest. Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. C, University of the Aegean, Syros, pp. 242-250 (poster).
- Hadjibiros, K. (2001). Setting priorities for wildfires suppression policy in Greece, using a relation between yearly burned areas and recovery time. Global NEST Int. J., vol 3, n. 1, pp. 37-43.
- Kyritsis, E., A. Koukouvinos and K. Hadjibiros (2002). Sustainable use of Greek wetlands: situation, trends, classification and exploitation potential, Proc. 3th Int. Forum on Integrated Water Management, Hydrorama 2002, Athens, pp. 78-83.
- Kyritsis, E. and K. Hadjibiros (2002). Selection of environmental indicators for aquatic ecosystems in Greece in relation to the establishment of reference conditions. Proc. 5th Int. Conf. on Water resources management in the era of transition, European Water Resources Association, Athens, pp. 538-545.
- Tsouni, A., N. Zervos, K. Hadjibiros and A. Andreadakis (2002). An environmental database for the status of freshwater in Greece. Global NEST Int. J., vol 4, n. 1, pp. 1-14.
- Chatzimpiros, Κ., D. Koutsogiannis, A. Katsiri, A. Stamou, A. Andreadakis, P. Sargentis, A. Christofides, A. Efstratiades, A.
- Valassopoulos (2002), “Management of Water Quality of the Plastiras Reservoir”. Proceedings of the 4rth Int. Conf. on Reservoir Limnology, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic, August 12-16 2002.
- Hadjibiros, K. (2003). The River Acheloos Diversion Scheme. www.hydrodinosaurs.fr.st, 11p.
- Kargas, T. and K. Hadjibiros (2003). Landscape ecology and wildfire prevention in the Mediterranean. An application in Catalonia, Spain. Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, University of the Aegean, Lemnos, pp. 418-425.
- Hadjibiros, K., A. Tsouni and K. Vreda (2003). Implementation of ecological engineering plans to Greek wetlands. Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, University of the Aegean, Lemnos, pp. 303-309 (poster).
- Zakinthinos, S. and K. Hadjibiros (2003). Assessment of two different approaches to conservation of biodiversity. Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, University of the Aegean, Lemnos, pp. 982-987.
- Hadjibiros, K. (2003). Landscape conservation in Greece. Inventorying sites of natural and cultural interest (national paper), in: Il Paesagggio nelle Politiche Europee, Council of Europe and Presidenza Italiana del Consiglio dell’Unione Europea, Roma, p. 135-142.
- Missa V., K. Noutsopoulos, E. Aftias and K. Hadjibiros (2005). Environmental impact of urban stormwater discharges. Problems related to the application of BMPs in Greece. Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, University of the Aegean, Rhodes, pp. 617-622 (poster).
- Sargentis, G-F., K. Hadjibiros and A. Christofides (2005). Plastiras lake: the impact of water level on the aesthetic value of landscape. Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, University of the Aegean, Rhodes, pp. 817-824 (poster).
- Sargentis, G-F., K. Hadjibiros, G. Papagiannakis and E. Papagiannakis (2005). Plastiras lake: Influence of the relief on the revelation of the water presence. Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, University of the Aegean, Rhodes, pp. 825-832 (poster).
- Hadjibiros K. (2005). Impulsion, Contrainte et Cycles des Systemes Cosmiques. Diotima, n. 33, pp. 7-14.
- Christofides, A., A. Efstratiades, G.-F. Sargentis, D. Koutsoyiannis and K. Hadjibiros (2005). Resolving conflicting objectives in the management of the Plastiras lake: can we quantify beauty? Hydrol. Earth Sys. Sci. Discuss., 2, 801-819.
- Hadjibiros, K., 2005. Some important ecological aspects of the Directive 2000/60. Global NEST Journal, vol. 7, 3, 336-339
- Hadjibiros, K., A. Katsiri, A. Andreadakis, D. Koutsoyannis, A. Stamou, A. Christofides, A. Efstratiadis and F.-G. Sargentis (2005). Multi-criteria reservoir water management. , Global NEST Journal, vol. 7, 3, 386-394
- Hadjibiros, K., I.D. Mantziaras, D.G. Sakellariadis, Ch. Giannakidou and A. Katsiri (2006). Pollution risk assessment from European mining sites and preliminary results from tailings dams in Greece. Proc. Int. Conf. "Protection and Restoration of the Environment"
- Hadjibiros, K., (2006). Biosphere system’s development driven by factors limiting energy flow. International Conference, Energy – the Source of Existence, Novi Sad, 21-23.9.2006
- Hadjibiros, Κ. P. Panagiotidis and R. Karakatsani (2007). Dictionary of Ecological and Environmental Terms, Stafilidis, Athens, 400 p.
- Stamou, A., K. Hadjibiros, A. Andreadakis and A. Katsiri (2007). Establishing minimum water level for Plastiras reservoir (Greece) combining water quality modelling with landscape aesthetics. Environmental Modeling and Assessment, 12 (3), 157-170.
- Zamba, A. and K. Hadjibiros (2007). Estimating the ecological footprint of vehicles in the city of Athens, Proc. 10th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, University of the Aegean, Kos, pp. 1638-1645.
- Hadjibiros, K. and P. Sifakaki (2009). Schinias wetland: A national park or a solar saltwork?, Global NEST Journal, 11 (1), 32-40.
- Hadjibiros, K. and C. Laspidou (2009). Zero environmental impact objective as a tool for environmental policy: The case study of an airport built on a wetland, Proc. 11th Int. Conf. on Environmental Science and Technology, University of the Aegean, Crete, pp.411-418.
- Laspidou, C., K. Hadjibiros and S. Gialis (2010). Minimizing the Environmental Impact of Sea Brine Disposal by Coupling Desalination Plants with Solar Saltworks: A Case Study for Greece, Water, 2(1), 75-84.
- Hadjibiros, K. (2010). Effects of policy development on Schinias Marathon coastal landscape, Proc. Int. Conf. “Living Landscape”, Florence, Bandecchi&Vivaldi, p. 318-329.
- Hadjibiros, K., M. Aravantinou and C. Laspidou (2011). Organisation and Evaluation of a Sustainable Islands Network. International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning, 6 (1), 13–20.
- Stergiouli, M.L. and K. Hadjibiros (2011). The growing water imprint of Athens (Greece) throughout history. Regional Environmental Change, DOI 10.1007/s10113-011-0260-7
- Efstratiadis, A. and K. Hadjibiros (2011). Can an environment-friendly management policy improve the overall performance of an artificial lake? Experience from a multipurpose dam in Greece. Environmental Science and Policy, 14(6), 1151-1162.
- Hadjibiros, K., D. Dermatas and C. Laspidou (2011). Municipal Solid Waste Management and Landfill Site Selection in Greece: Irrationality versus Efficiency, Global NEST Journal, 13 (2), 150-161.
- Hadjibiros, K., A. Katsiri, A. Koukouvinos, N. Moutafis, and G. Vilandou (2011). Sustainable management of a large-scale tourist facility with significant water demand, Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, A, 672–679.
- Makropoulos, C., K. Hadjibiros and S. Baki (2011). Green(ing) Agkistri Island: a three theme approach. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, A, 1119-1126.
- Hadjibiros, K. (2011). A large scale river diversion project negating sustainable resource management. Book of abstracts, EUROCASE Annual Conference on Water and Food Security in Europe, Madrid.
- Hadjibiros K. and D. Argyropoulos (2011). Landscape and road integration in Greece. Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, 5(10), 1381-1387.